Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day Three-- Parrot Perches and Team Work

Day Three

I have decided that Chi is part parrot. She loves to curl up on my right shoulder and stay there. Like nearly forever. It's really cute and not at all troublesome while I'm sitting down working. It gets slightly more problematic if I need to get up and go somewhere. I've decided just to put her on the seat of the walker and take her with me. Once I'm walker free again, she can just ride on my shoulder if she's still doing that by then. She reminds me very much of my past kitty, Zuki, who has been on my mind a lot recently. Which made me start to wonder. So I asked her today if she was in fact Zuki returned for another life. She said yes, which didn't surprise me particularly, but which could be an issue later. I told her that she would need to bond with Jan too and be her kitty this time. I asked her if she realized that and was okay with that. I got another affirmative. The plot thickens. She really does have to stay here, because if I take a 4th cat with me when I leave, it's going to be Pixie. So unless they all do a lot of negotiating and shuffling, she's got to be Jan's baby this time so all of this shoulder cuddling needs to transfer to her mom in this lifetime. Of course Tai has rather attached herself to Jan, so Chi going to have to do some serious maneuvering to get herself sorted properly. In the meantime, Tai is nowhere in sight and Chi is lying rather adorably upside downwards on my right shoulder. No doubt the better for me to see how cute she is lying there all comfy and settled. This new revelation puts Li'l Grey's response to the kittens in a new light that makes perfect sense. 

Li'l spent most of the day yesterday in the tub again. He only got out when I kicked him out so I could get a shower. The good news is that this time he didn't get back into the tub after it dried. I don't know where he is exactly, but at least he's out of the tub. He'll come out when he's good and ready. In the time meantime, I'm reassuring him that he's still top cat and he always will be. He yielded to Zuki's senior status when she came to live with us after Bingo's death, before I got Bootsy (formerly Bingo) and Anjolie. He was so devastated after he lost his best friend of eleven plus years, that he didn't really care about anything any more. It wasn't until after her passing, that the light went back on in Dustin's life that he was top cat again. This status he has maintained even as a kitten when he returned. Neither of the twins every took over Dustin's roll after his passing. I think he's questioning his status. Nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned because the kittens belong to Jan, not me, and that is how it will remain. So now I just have to convince Li'l that all is well in our household. Where is Pixie when I need her? I'll have to see if I can get her to come in every hour or so, go to Li'l Grey, and announce in that adorable voice of hers, "All's well, Li'l. You're still top cat." That might help. I'll have to work on that today now that I have figured out how to work with the on/off kitten switches. I'm getting more work done today, yay!

On day three, the pair found the vertical blinds in the front windows. They also discovered the window sill. That alone will provide hours of entertainment at this stage of life. Now I need to figure out a way to coordinate their naps with my writing, so I don't have to wind up locking them up for an hour or two at a time. Granted the "lock-up" place is like a kitty heaven, but I'd rather they be able to run free in the house and just be respectful of my writing time because when it comes time to work on the poetry anthology concerted, I'll need a kitten free zone around my laptop. Some of the older cats, including Yeti, already went another step in the process of accepting our new little sisters. Both he and Yeti spent a little time chasing them. If I can get Bootsy, Anjolie, and Li'l involved, then I'll have built-in babysitters who can wear the kittens out for me. Jan and I can play with them some too every day. Then I'll take over letting them sleep on my while I type. Seems like a reasonable plan. These cats are smart and helped out this way when Yeti was a kitten.

I just presented my plan to them, so we'll see how fast the word gets around, since Yeti and Pixie are on the catio at the moment. Hopefully we'll be like a well-oiled machine tomorrow, the way we were with Yeti. We raised Yeti collectively, so we can raise these two easily too, if we all work together. I realize there are two of them, but that should only make it easier since they can wear each other out some of the time too. Yesterday ended up successful use of the litter box and loads of praise heaped on each of them for these successes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment